Artists Residency Opportunity with ArtsTaunton/Museum of Somerset
ArtsTaunton is an organisation working to make Taunton a great place to live - somewhere where art and nature combine to make a town that has a unique identity. To achieve this aim ArtsTaunton has secured funding to support an artist to explore the enduring character of our town - its people and its landscape. In the coming years we want to support our creative sector and stimulate the appetite in people for brilliant and meaningful art (art in its widest definition). This residency is one of the first steps to help us find out what would be meaningful for Taunton’s citizens.
We want to work with artists because they have the ability to see and communicate in fresh and accessible ways. Artists can often see acutely what is special in the ‘everyday’.
This particular residency asks an artist to find out What’s special about Taunton? In their quest the artist will be hosted by the Museum of Somerset and Somerset’s Heritage Centre enabling them to probe into Taunton’s past and present. We want an artist to look into Taunton’s deep past and what it is currently and what it might become in the future - what are the interests of our communities past and present?
Through this research we want the artist to reveal what is the enduring character of our town and its people. The artist will be supported through their research by the enlightened, expert curatorial and engagement staff of the Museum of Somerset and have access to the Heritage Centre which houses extensive archive material.
The artist we engage will need to be interested in people and places and have a strong research methodology, we want the artist to help us find the answer to our question. We are not asking for an outcome that is a tangible work of art, but we do want a creative presentation of the research findings that is appropriate to the artist’s practice. The artist will be asked to present their findings at a public event in July.
What you will get
• Research opportunity with the Museum of Somerset and Somerset’s
Heritage Centre over a 6 week period
• Access to a range of skills, knowledge, networks and expertise across the
Museum and Heritage Centre
• Support to access cultural and heritage sites and other organisations
• A fee of £1.5k (to include materials)
• There is a budget to cover reasonable travel and accommodation and out of pocket expenses up to £500
• Workspace at the Museum of Somerset or Heritage Centre with internet access
• Support with research and external engagement throughout the residency
What is expected of you
• Over the 6 week research period the artist will spend time in Taunton to undertake research with the Museum of Somerset
• It is expected that the artist will be in Taunton for an agreed portion of the residency (days to be agreed between the artist/s, ArtsTaunton and the host)
• It is expected that the artist will be available to do at least one public event during the residency and be available to give a creative presentation of their research at a public event in July
• The artist will be expected to engage with and provide material for the host’s and ArtsTaunton’s website and social media campaigns and be available for press interviews
Deadline for responses 31 March 2017
Interviews week of 10 April 2017
Residency period between 24 April - 9 June
How to apply
Please send a statement (no more than 500 words) that outlines your interest in the residency and a further statement (no more than 500 words) outlining your relevant experience and how you will approach the residency (including how you might present your findings).
In support of your application please also supply a current CV and up to 12 Jpegs or video links, sound recordings or other methods of documentation that appropriately illustrate your practice. Please also give details of two referees.
We welcome inter/national applications from across the spectrum of artform disciplines and from artists of all ages.
Email your applications to: email@example.com
If you have any questions please contact: Ann Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org