Call out for trustees for Strike A Light Festival
Strike A Light is a new organisation currently applying for charitable status and we are seeking a board of trustees.
Strike A Light is a Gloucester based arts organisation.
We currently deliver 2 multi art form festivals a year in Gloucester.
These festivals are in partnership with Battersea Arts Centre and Arts Council England.
They are a response to a recognition that Gloucester is traditionally an area of low cultural engagement and that currently there are few cultural events in the city.
Strike A Light is about:
- Creating a Festival for Gloucester people
- engaging new audiences with a particular focus on young and diverse.
- programming performance work of the highest national and international quality
- ensuring that it is financially accessible for the whole community.
- listening and responding to the community in Gloucester (so when the black community ask us where the black artists are, where are the role models for young black men, we listen and respond).
- Reflecting the diversity of the Gloucester community on the stage with work by and featuring Black & Asian artist
- delivering community engagement programmes to accompany the work.
- supporting local emerging artists, giving them a platform from which to perform their work, offering mentoring support and seed funding when we can.
- Non venue based - exploiting the opportunities the buildings of Gloucester offer
Strike A Light wants to grow to being a year round enterprise where we are able to offer continuous support for emerging artists, support and mentor young producers, build meaningful relationships with schools, colleges and the University, work with our diverse community in Gloucester and in partnership with other organisations .Our vision for the city is to create the environment where Gloucester is no longer a cultural cold spot but an area of high cultural engagement, a city where there are creative opportunities for artists and young people, where high quality performance work is accessible and available and the provision of culture contributes to feelings of civic pride and well being.
Who are Strike A Light?
We are a small and dedicated team.
We are not interested in empire building but collaboration and partnership working.
Sarah Blowers and Emma- Jane Benning are the lead Creative Producers.
We have a young Assistant Producer who works with us and a team of associates who we employ for specific projects.
We have a supportive Creative Council made up of creatives working in and around Gloucester.
Support for Strike A Light:
We are supported by Gloucester City Council, Battersea Arts Centre, Arts Council England Esmee Fairbarn and the Jerwood foundation.
Financially we are stable.
What do we want from our trustees?
We want a board of trustees who genuinely care about what we are trying to achieve and can support steer us when we feel we need guidance.
We want our trustee board to understand the needs of Gloucester, the role that culture can play and be able to offer us specialist skills/advice when need it.
We are keen to have at least 2 members of our board to come from BME backgrounds and a young person under the age of 25 on the board.
We would particularly welcome applications from financial or legal backgrounds.
For more advice on becoming a trustee and what it entails please go to http://charitycommission.gov.uk .
How to apply:
Please send us some information about yourself, no more than a page of A4, outlining your interest in becoming a trustee, what you think you will bring to Strike A Light and your interest in the arts and its role in the community.
Deadline: 19th December 2014
If you would like an informal chat please phone Sarah Blowers on 07967494244