The Music Works: Business Manager
The Music Works (TMW) is looking for a Business Manager to ensure we have the organisational and financial capacity to deliver our ambitious vision for the future.
The main purpose of this role is to ensure the engine of The Music Works – the financial and operational workings of the organisation, run smoothly and efficiently. Working closely alongside Deborah Potts, the CEO, the role will ensure the needs of a growing organisation are forecast and suitably met. In addition, we are growing rapidly and are about to move the organisation from a largely freelance structure to one where most staff are employed. The Business Manager will work with the CEO to oversee this transition.
The Music Works is a Gloucestershire-based registered charity that transforms lives through music. We’re specialists in working with young people in challenging circumstances to help them reach their full potential in music, in learning and in life. We work with over 1,000 young people a year in schools and our three community rehearsal spaces in Cheltenham, Gloucester and the Forest of Dean. We specialise in non-classical music – bands, technology and production, singing and songwriting, rap and beatboxing.
We are currently funded by a range of charitable and governmental bodies including Make Music Gloucestershire and Youth Music.
YOU CAN READ MORE ABOUT HOW WE WORK AND OUR LONG TERM GOALS HERE.
Main responsibilities of the role
1. Oversee and implement administration and HR procedures including setting up and running payroll.
2. Maintain accurate records including all data collection, evaluation and governance forms
3. Develop and update policies (e.g. Equality, Diversity and Safeguarding) and files so that TMW is fully compliant and in line with best practice.
4. Work with the senior team to organise staff and volunteer training to support professional development.
5. Provide admin support for other TMW staff.
6. Prepare Board reports and papers and take minutes in Board meetings.
7. Liaise with the Chair, on legal and other matters relating to TMW governance.
1. Weekly bookkeeping, including processing incoming invoices, invoicing customers as necessary, maintaining accounts.
2. Monitor income and expenditure of core projects and provide support to the TMW team to manage project budgets.
3. Prepare management accounts for quarterly Board meetings.
4. Prepare financial information for reporting to funders and to support the fundraising process.
5. Prepare the monthly payroll and reporting to HMRC.
6. Compile necessary records and information for the annual accounts and liaise with the accountant to prepare the annual accounts.
We are looking to appoint against the following criteria:
First class administration and presentation skills to include minute taking, creating and formatting spreadsheets, reports and presentations.
Excellent attention to detail.
Experience of management accounts, budget management and bookkeeping.
Good communication and advocacy skills.
Ability and desire to self-organize and work flexibly.
Drivers license and access to a car.
A commitment to support and innovate the arts sector in Gloucestershire.
Details of the role:
This is a permanent part-time role.
The salary would be £30k pro rata for two days a week. We anticipate the two days a week will be worked flexibly in liaison with the CEO. There is the possibility of an additional two days project administration if this is desired but this would be at a lesser rate.
Deborah Potts, CEO, will provide support and be the main point of contact for this role but the role will also work closely with other members of the senior team – Malaki Patterson, Creative Director and Anita Holford,
We are flexible as to where the job is located although we would expect some time to be spent in our Gloucester studio when it is open. Home working is fine.
For enquiries about the role, please contact Deborah Potts, CEO, email@example.com
How to apply:
Send your CV and a covering letter (no longer than 2 pages) explaining why you are interested in the role and suitable for this post by 17 th March 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be scheduled for Monday 27 th March in Gloucestershire at a venue to be confirmed.
The Music Works is an Equal Opportunities organisation.